Sunday, July 10, 2011

Inaugural Dipping of the Big Toe:

I do not have the literary skills of FDChief, nor the credentials of Aviator47, but will do my best to fill in occasionally. Please don't spare the criticism. There is nothing worse than a group of people that turn into a self-licking ice cream cone. For starts, I thought maybe a goulash of two or three things that caught my interest.

1] The Art of War at Fort Ticonderoga

I hope they have some of the paintings of John Turnbull on display at Fort Ti. Yes much of his work like that of the deaths of Warren and Mercer could have been classified as propaganda. But his 'General George Washington Resigning His Commission' is IMHO a classic.

With my mother's family from Maine and a father from Virginia I have never been big on Civil War battlefields. My entire Civil War library consists of Grant's Memoirs, bios of Farragut and Jackson, and a Naval history of the time, nothing on the bloody land battles. Seems there were family folk on both sides and even a great-great grandfather who was a bounty jumper and fled to Canada after enlisting for cash. No shame there, he made his living as a steeplejack a hundred feet up back in the days long before steel scaffolding and cherry pickers so I never considered him a coward.

But as much as I am repelled by the CW, I am fascinated by the history of our Revolution. I have visited Yorktown, Valley Forge, Saratoga, Stanwyx, Brooklyn Heights, and most of the New England sites. I regret though that I have never been to Fort Ti. I need to make that trip soon.

It was a small victory against a few pensioners. Stop me if you did this before Chief, in your Decisive Battles series, I could not find it. The entire Brit force at Fort Ti was only two officers, two artillerymen, a couple of sergeants, 44 privates (many of whom were invalids) and 24 women and children. Reportedly only two(?) musket shots were fired by the defenders and one was a flash in the pan. Even so, the effects of that battle were enormous. Knox's transport of the Ticonderoga big guns and their use at Dorchester Heights is the stuff of legend. But some of those guns were used throughout the war. According to Christopher Ward’s history, although many of the captured guns from there were unserviceable, we did get 78 good cannon ranging up to 24-pounders (I reckon that is close to 150mm, what say the redlegs, Chief?). There were also six mortars, three howitzers, thousands of cannon ball, nine tons of musket ball, thirty thousand flints, plus tons of miscellaneous equipment. This was a small battle that changed the calculus of the war.

Our leadership at Fort Ti (Tyconderogo in the old vernacular) would not be considered top rate today. Arnold's ego eventually drove him to treason. Ethan Allen spent more of his time fighting the State of New York than he did fighting the Brits. Last year when I visited Bennington Vermont, imagine my surprise when I found the actual battlefield is now in New York. Old Ethan would be turning over in his grave.

2] Book Review: 'Diary of an Eco-Outlaw: An Unreasonable Woman Breaks the Law for Mother Earth' by Diane Wilson. I have always considered myself a conservative, but I have never been one of the new whiney, corporate Koch-sucker types who currently lay claim to the conservative label. I am more of the old school who believes we should be stewards of the earth for our grandchildren and their grandchildren. I always had a soft spot in my heart for environmental authors. So when I saw this title I immediately got a copy.

This is a good book. It is easy to read, and contains some very strong allegations against corporate polluters on the Texas coast. Wilson writes in an entertaining style like the downhome Texas woman that she is. A former shrimp boat owner and captain, and bayside seafood restaurant manager, she was one of many whose livelihoods were trashed by Union Carbide, British Petroleum, and Formosa Plastics. I note that Formosa Plastics plants were shut down in Taipei and also in Illinois for safety violations, but not unfortunately in Texas even though there was a huge explosion there horribly injuring up to 16 workers as well as massive chemical spills.

Wilson was also reportedly a former Army medic. She has been in jail several times for her environmental activism. She has been threatened, her dog was shot, she was called a communist, and been pressured by some in her family to cease and desist. Many employees of the polluters eventually came to her with information on chemical spills. They generally started all conversations with her by saying: ‘Now I am not a treehugger, but…’. One thing I like about her approach was that she never did espouse Edward Abbey’s proposed monkey wrenching or arson and the tree spiking that we saw here in the NW. I think she understands that civil disobedience was a better answer than sabotage that could kill or maim Joe Lunchpail and antagonize the people you needed to convert.

Imagine my surprise when I found halfway through the book that she was one of the founders of Code Pink which I always considered a group of loosey-goosey media whores. Or maybe she is not one of the founders as she is not listed as so on the CP website? Perhaps she was just a founder of a local chapter in TX, or perhaps one of the first activists but not actually a founder? She is probably a fan of Bradley Manning which would drive me crazy. Oh well, even angels sometimes have feet of clay, or at least a terra cotta toe. They, at least her and maybe some others, have earned my respect regardless of their methods. We need more like her.

It was published by Chelsea Green, from Vermont (like Ethan Allen above). I need to look into more of their environmental titles. NOTE: No gratuities have been accepted from the publisher or from booksellers.

3] What can be improved on this blog: Not much. And who would I be, a rank newcomer, to make recommendations? But alas, any self-respecting saloon that would take me as a bartender is probably not worth drinking in. BG or Andy would serve up stronger spirits. Pluto has a better handle than I on economics which is THE major issue for America at this time. And perhaps Svenn could be persuaded to occasionally cross post one of his zingers of interest to American readers? Make them an offer they cannot refuse.

PS - sorry if I stepped on your post Al, I waited two days. Not sure how the blog self-regulates that.

R/S - mike



28 comments:

  1. The links did not come out as I thought they would. I need to learn my html. Try:

    http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/11875

    and

    http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781603582155-0

    or if you prefer

    http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Eco-Outlaw-Unreasonable-Breaks-Mother/dp/1603582150/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310315102&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike- Great start with interesting info. There is no such thing as on another's post here, so no apology necessary.

    Comments to follow.

    Al - who grew up around the corner from Pell's Point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mike-

    I like #1 best, because that's where I learn the most. Washington is always a great topic with me.

    --So, I'll stop pretending. I'm back. A bit singed around the edges but also a bit wiser pertaining to establishing a collective bargaining system . . . --

    As to this thread, expand #1?, I wouldn't attempt to tell you where to begin, but I'll follow you where ever you go . . . how's that?

    As to your next post . . . why not the USMC?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seydlitz -

    Good to hear you are back. We were (or I was) starting to think that the unionbusters had used pick handles to bust you up and keep you incommunicado. As for the USMC, too big a topic, maybe you or Al could cover it. But better yet, write us a post soon on your attempt to establish the Portuguese equivalent of the NEA.

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al -

    Glover did one hell of a job there. Not bad for a sailor turned militiaman. Looks like his tactics at Pell preceded Nat Greene's and Dan Morgan's at Cowpens by years.

    I will put Pell Point on my visit list. Is it wall-to-wall houses and businesses now or is there a small State or National Park there?

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike-

    Pell's Point is still mostly New York City park land and quite bucolic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mike: Nope, didn't do Ft. Ti; crucial to the Revolution, and a great example of what happens when a big nation tries to run a war it doesn't really understand from 3,000 miles away (hmmm...why does THAT sound familiar?).

    IMO the disconnect between modern American conservatives and almost ANYthing smacking of "conservation" and "environmental regulation" is one of the most frustrating and irking aspects of movement Conservatism. It's like the Coulter/Limbaugh wingnuts have taken everything handed them by guys like Teddy Roosevelt and chucked it in the shitcan rather than think that perhaps...just PERHAPS...it's in their own best interests NOT to trust an international corporation or corporations whose only interest in any particular locale is how they can jerk profits out of it regardless of the length of time those profits can be made. They seem to have learned nothing from the cut-and-run timber companies, the Love Canals, the Exxon Valdezs...all the various histories of the damn outfits that have fouled their own homes so often. Amazing, and pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I have always considered myself a conservative, but I have never been one of the new whiney, corporate Koch-sucker types who currently lay claim to the conservative label. I am more of the old school who believes we should be stewards of the earth for our grandchildren and their grandchildren."

    Amen brother. For me this is what "conservative" has to mean, that along with accountability, honesty (especially with ourselves), faithfulness, humility (being aware of one's own faults and weaknesses) and basically accepting that actions have their consequences.

    What mostly passes for "Conservative" today is right-wing nihilism or simply playing the corporate stooge . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike,
    Here we goooo.
    The revolution was founded on a few thoughts, such as freedom of speech. Are we together so far?
    Let me know when we split beliefs.
    Brian Manning is a world class whistle blower and as such SHOULD BE protected surely as any worker in a chemical plant blowing gas up a chemical companies ass.
    Whistle blowing is not espionage or unpatriotic.
    I for 1 am squarely in Mannings corner.
    That's why we swore to defend the Constitution.
    Not only when it's popular and convenient.
    Welcome aboard.
    BTW,
    I recently heard thru a cousin that some of my immigrant fore bears were boot leggers during Prohibition. I'll drink to that.

    btw, thanks for writing - we need a new outlook.
    jim
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always thought the more the merrier, cheerier, and funner.

    Welcome to the circus, mike!

    Imagine my surprise when I found halfway through the book that she was one of the founders of Code Pink which I always considered a group of loosey-goosey media whores.

    And here's your first ( or second, looking at jim ) criticism.

    I recall on I-D a back-and-forth with Sheerah, I believe it was, on a member of Code Pink in Condie Rice's face during a Congressional hearing. I truly believe it was a very brave act, and necessary to the health of our democracy, what there's left of it. If our elected reps were more afraid of the common peon getting in their way than corporate donors abandoning them, we'd be much better off.

    The public action in Wisconsin is just a larger version of CP. And that also illustrates the problem with any kind of public activism or political involvement, there are no big numbers involved until big numbers of people are adversely affected by public policies.

    A quote found today:

    First, they came for the gay veterans.
    He didn’t fight hard; he wasn’t gay.
    Next, they came for the immigrants.
    He didn’t fight hard; he wasn’t “illegal.”
    Next, they came for the trade unionists.
    He didn’t fight hard; he no longer belonged to a union.
    Next, they came for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
    He didn’t fight hard; he wasn’t poor.
    But finally they came for him,
    and there was nobody willing to fight hard for him.

    -Dan Choi


    bb

    ReplyDelete
  11. mike,
    I've been thinkin' about my comment re;Manning.
    Back to the glorious old revolution, which was about principles of the philosophy of man and the government derived thereof. IOW we don't need a stinking king with absolute power.
    This means that we do not espouse to a principle like freedom of speech and then moderate it with provisos that make it comfortable and nice and patriotic and safe and of course secret.
    What makes us different, or at least used to, was our adherence to the belief that the gov't existed for us and not as the Prussian model where the state existed to serve the Army at the expense of the citizens and state. We are citizens. Those are principles that are hard to twist into little balls that will revolve around concepts of state secrecy , security and all that other drivel.Yes i said drivel.!And that's being kind.
    Principles are not trumped by false concepts of patriotism.
    I have but one mouth to give for my country-The Ranger.
    Just sayin'.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Mike. Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have but one mouth to give for my country

    Excuse me jim, more criticism.

    You got 2, one coming and one going, and both can talk.

    bb

    ReplyDelete
  14. jim & basil:

    I am fine with code pink after reading Ms Wilson's book. But IMHO, Mr BM is not a whistleblower. It is a shame that he gets the press and the kudos and yet the real heroes - the guys that blew the whistle on Formosa Plastics and Union Carbide - were treated as scum by their neighbors, by the authorities of Calhoun County, by the state of Texas, and even by the feds at EPA and OSHA. Where is their justice?

    ReplyDelete
  15. mike,
    If BM is not a wb'er then what is he?
    Is it possible that justice is no longer applicable in modern post 1984 Amurica?
    BTW IT'S NOT Mr. Manning- he's still a soldier and until convicted deserves to be called by his rank .That's just.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jim - I guess we agree to disagree on whether he deserves to be called a whistleblower. Besides, he does not need my support. He has a huge support group (mistaken IMHO), including CP, Hollywood, and thousands of others. He has a legal defense fund. He has hackers all over the world threatening to bring down Uncle's internet presence if he is not released.

    The Calhoun County whistleblowers, who are trying to stop corporate polluters and government bureaucrats from poisoning the planet have none of his advantages. His case is nothing compared to theirs, yet he gets all the press and all the sympathy. Why is that??
    And even if I believed his legend, which I do not, why would he need my support with the juggernaut of a support network that he already has.

    BTW - who looks over WikiLeaks shoulder - why don't they have the same accountability as the US government?

    ReplyDelete
  17. "BTW - who looks over WikiLeaks shoulder - why don't they have the same accountability as the US government?"

    Maybe because your tax dollars aren't supporting WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks is a private concern, which supports itself without you and is accordingly not accountable to you. OTOH, the U.S. Government is in theory accountable to all Americans. The fact that we all know what a pile of horseshit that is does nothing to alter the theory.

    ReplyDelete
  18. mike.
    I reckon the reason they AIN'T watch dogged is because we have a CONSTITUTION.
    It's coming to a theater soon -you might want to watch the trailers , at the very least.
    What don't you get about a free press? Their actions have more legitimacy than do the gov'ts actions.
    WIKI like it or not is legit press.
    BTW did you watch the helo strike in IRQ that wiki pubbed? Two journalists were killed and all the kills were illegitate --ROE or GC.Those poor fuckers were gunned down for being on the street, in their own country.
    I'm proud of wiki pubbing this display of our tax dollars at work.
    Killing people ain't cool, esp on my dime.
    Let wiki ring.
    jim
    btb
    Publius,
    I picked you back up on the Morning report.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  19. To all,
    Re; the wiki episode to which i refer in my previous cmt has another dimension that i'd like to cmt on.
    Besides being cold blooded murder it's also interesting from a Infantry officers viewpoint.
    The marksmanship was terrible and 1 would expect more lethality from our sophisticated gunships.
    I'm sorry to say stuff like this , but there it is.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  20. Publius -

    The news tonight of the Pentagon leaks dwarf the WL and BM leaks. So maybe it is not worth arguing about. But WTH.

    You are of course right that WikiLeaks is not responsible to me or to US taxpayers. But they should be accountable to someone.

    They do not even pretend to check what they publish is fact or fiction. So in many cases readers are not sure if what is put online is truly a leak by a whistleblower or a bit of disinformation by the CIA, MI-5, or the Chinese or Russky equivalents. They do not make any attempt to analyze or put in context what they put on line.

    When WikiLeaks published the US Army and ISAF intel files, Amnesty International asked that they redact the names of Afghans working as U.S. military informants. A simple request that would protect people at risk if published. Assange the head of WikiLeaks said he had "no time".

    WikiLeaks claims to be non-profit yet they made over a million Brit pounds last year with no accountability. It all went into Assange's lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. jim -

    "legit press"???? You have got to be smoking ganja. Is some of that Jamaican weed invading your neihborhood?

    As far as the "collateral murder" video goes: 1] that incident was well known before the video came out. BM stated (albeit not under oath) that he got it from the file folder of the investigating officer. 2] If that was the extent of BM's releases then I would say good on him, and would have considered him a whistleblower. But why did he steal the other 999,999 classified docs and give them to WL (allegedly as you say but he reportedly bragged about doing it and has never recanted)? What public benefit did that serve? My take is that BM was a mean-spirited asshole getting even with the Army for what he perceived as unjust persecution. Maybe I am wrong, let's hope so, time will tell. The feds need to get off the pot soon and file charges or release him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mike,
    where we split , other than at the 1st amend. is the idea of motivation.
    I don't care if he's a mean sprited ass hole or anything else.
    The outcome is what i think is correct since i paid for those documents with my taxes, i therefore seem to think that i have a proprietory interest.
    Now having said that , i must be blowin' dope.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mike, I understand your point re; the whisleblowers in your essay.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  24. BB,

    I can vouchsafe your cmt. on Ranger's mouths; Amen, bro :) {and, belated Happy Birthday, right?]

    ReplyDelete
  25. jim -

    Irregardless of my opinion on BM, I think what was missed is that his leadership dropped the ball big time. They should be rug-dancing in front of the Army Chief of Staff, and any negligence on their part should be treated harshly. The same goes for whoever dropped the ball on this latest cyber attack at the Pentagon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. mike,
    What i don't understand is how do we bust Mannings balls while letting guys like Gen'l Hayden/Bush etc..have a free pass on their illegal use of the NSA.
    This is more serious an offense than anything done by BM.
    jim

    ReplyDelete